Despite countless documented healing effects, the Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca’s Plant Medicine which contain DMT is not considered legal to be taken in many countries. Why?
- Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca’s Plant Medicine brew is mainly made by combining the vine from Banisteriopsis Caapi and leaves of the Psychotria Viridis. The brew’s main psychoactive effect comes from Psychotria Viridis which contains DMT (N,N-Dimethyl-Tryptamine), while the Banisteriopsis Caapi plant prevents the stomach from digesting the psychoactive compound.
- DMT, LSD, Psilocybin are classed as Schedule I drugs in the USA which are also prohibited to fluctuating degrees in other countries, which have earlier been used as a scapegoat to vanquish the counterculture movement of the 60s and 70s.
- DMT is internationally a schedule I drug, but that does not prohibit Plants which contain DMT. Every individual country has regulations on the Plants containing DMT. Due to some laws’ specifics, it’s possible to experience the Divine and Holy Mother Ayahuasca’s Plant Medicine in various ways.
Legal Status of in US and Canada
It’s legal to possess plants that contain the medicine. But the psychoactive components within the plants are not. This means that within the United States, the UK, Canada, and other countries governed by the 1971 Vienna Convention, if you possess Plants, you aren’t breaking any laws until you extract the DMT from it.
- In the US, it doesn’t take much searching to find retreat centers in New York, Los Angeles, and San Francisco and the recent legalization of psilocybin in some cities, and also the explosion of research around using psychedelic experience as therapeutic access for healing purposes, suggest that the legal status may change in the not-so-distant future.
- The religious groups Santo Diame and UDV (União do Vegetal) are two churches that use the Holy Medicine from Divine and Holy Mother Ayahuasca as sacrament as part of their religious ceremonies, and both succeeded in their legal challenges and are now allowed to practice their use of the Holy Medicine within the US and Canada.
Legality in Central America
Unsurprisingly the Holy Medicine of Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca is absolutely legal in Latin American countries where the Psychoactive Vine Banisteriopsis Caapi and Psychotria Viridis (Chacruna) grows naturally and where there is historic usage among indigenous people in the traditional lineage of Shamanism and where a church operates where the use of the Holy Medicine of Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca.
- These countries are Ecuador, Brazil, Peru, and Colombia. Indigenous people of these countries have been working with Holy Plant Medicines for thousands of years. The medicine has a well-established and long history of Shamanic, curative and religious use in the religious/spiritual ceremonies.
- In Costa Rica DMT is NOT illegal, but neither is it specifically legal there. Recently, the heightening interest in such Holy Plant Medicines among North American and European has stimulated international tourism wherever it’s served and creating a niche market for retreats in recent years.
- The remaining Central and South American countries, DMT enjoys a ‘grey-area’ legality, and there are very famous retreat centers that are far from hidden, offering healing work and public ceremonies.
Legality in Europe
Demand for experiencing the Holy Plant Medicines of Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca keeps healers and seekers quietly holding retreats and ceremonies across the continent.
- In Europe, DMT enjoys fluctuating levels of legality in Italy, the Netherlands, Spain, Portugal, and as well as in Ukraine.
- In Romania, for research, medicine holds a limited legal status. Much of Europe affords DMT healings protection in ceremonial religious contexts such as UDV and Native American Church. But even these protections have come into question in recent years.
Legality in Australia
Although growing Banisteriopsis Caapi vine is not illegal in Australia, DMT is prohibited.
- There have been no known actions for the possession or use of the medicine, and ceremonies have been advertised somewhat openly in Australia.
- In Thailand and Bali, Holy Plant Medicine ceremonies are held openly as well. However, the exact legal status is unclear. No information is readily available, meaning any prosecutions for possession or use of plant medicine in these countries.
Determine Your Own Comfort Level
All legal grey areas mean that those seeking to work with Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca’s Medicines must consider their comfort level with risks those countries have or can travel to one of the countries where such Holy Plant Medicines have legal status. If you choose to work with a Shaman or facilitator in a country where DMT-containing Holy Plants are in Grey-area or clearly prohibited, you should be discreet about sharing information about yourself, participants, the retreat center where the work is held, and the facilitators to protect everybody involved.
Most importantly, remember that the use of Holy Plant Medicines in ceremonies are Sacred Rites and should be approached with utmost reverence for the traditions and everyone involved.
What is the future?
The Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca’s Medicine is a gift to humankind and is here to stay although Governments are afraid due to one of its components containing DMT, as it has been part of humanity for many thousands of years. The Holy Medicine has clear evidence of healing benefits to treat depression, addiction, autism, PTSD, end of life anxiety, and OCD. These healing rituals bring people to a level of spirituality that usually takes decades of focused working, learning, and meditation. The Holy and Divine Mother Ayahuasca offers humanity a fresh perspective on life that can not be found through a typical modern lifestyle or modern pharmaceuticals. The Holy Plant medicines are safe if used properly and can induce life-changing shifts in perspective and heal past traumas and mental issues. As the evidence, anecdotal, scientific studies continue to pile up. It’s only a matter of time before such Holy Plant Medicines are everywhere for healing and for the elevation of human consciousness.